Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chapter Fourteen -A DVD of the movie "Walk The Line"

After two long, but incredibly insightful years working at DFCS, I decided that it was time to move back home to Marietta and face the demons that I had left behind.  There were so many people that I thought were friends and whom I trusted, but once the divorce was final and Lars started spinning his tales, I realized that during the time of illness, financial woes or divorce, you truly find out who your friends are.  There were several people that had been close friends with Carr and myself for many years and since we had so many mutual friends, I had made a promise to myself that I would not expose or air our dirty laundry.  I would not try and "win" them as my exclusive friends.  I had told myself that I would take the high road but from what I could tell, Lars decided not to take this path.

Of course, I had no idea of the extent of campaigning and trash talk that Carr had done and to my shock and disbelief, I began noticing that certain friends were not returning my calls or emails.  I heard rumors, that were clearly not true, about myself and my family in local stores and restaurants.   Being deemed an outcast from the community which you had so loved and gave back too was just more than I could bear.  At night, when I was all alone and trying to fall asleep, I would curl up in a fetal position and cry so hard that I would soak my pajamas and my pillows.  I felt so betrayed that I decided it would be best for me to move away from this town and get myself and my life together and that is exactly what I did.  For over two years, I left my old life and began to work on building a new life for myself.  As I began to get stronger both mentally and physically,  I started  coming to the clear realization that a lot of these people were never true friends and it was time to leave them behind for good.  I had made so many awesome new friends through work, tennis and my neighborhood, that I was discovering that it was becoming fairly easy to say goodbye to many from my past and cherish those in the present. 

So with that being said, I put my house in Bridgemill up for sale, got a new job as a Probation Officer at the Cobb County State Court, and bought a house right on the outskirts of Marietta.  I was close enough to enjoy the city but far enough away not to get sucked back into the shallow, gossip ridden, backstabbing group that deserted me when I needed them most.

Along with my new home, new job and new outlook, came a new romantic relationship.  One that I certainly did not see coming and one that would change the course of my future in a way that I would have never guessed.  It all started with a frozen margarita and a DVD of "Walk the Line."

No comments:

Post a Comment